288. SAVINAR: "I'M JUST SPECULATING"
After you've followed peak oil for a while, you begin to notice how much of their hysteria just blows over. Somebody on the boards posts a doomy prediction, and they all freak out on it for a while like a bunch of monkeys going nuts over a snake in the cage. Then the prediction doesn't pan out so they quietly forget about it and repeat the cycle.
A good example of this is hype about the impending reinstitution of the draft.
As silly as it seems now, Savinar and Ruppert were quite shrill in predicting an imminent military draft back in the old days. I thought I'd call Savinar on that one, so I posted this over at peakoil.com:
Phew boy, that Savinar... He really knows what's GOING DOWN...Savinar replied:
Matt Savinar wrote:Here's how I think the draft will go down:So what happened there, wonderboy? Was there a booger on your crystal ball?
1. Michael Moore's film helps stir up anti-Saudi sentiment among the general population.
2. House of Saud continues to destabilize.
3. Increased terrorist activity, relating to number two.
4. Need a president to call for a draft? Who better to ask than a Democrat ex-war hero? Just like you needed a Dem to get welfare reform through, you need a Dem to get the draft.
John Kerry has said he will fight the war on terror "better" than Bush!Source
If you note, I tend to couch my language (including the above post) in terms like "I think." That implies some degree of speculation as to the details.So when Savinar tells you "Civilization as we know it will end soon," you might want to remember that Savinar is a green 20-something who is just "speculating". In fact, his grasp of reality is so tenuous that he actually thinks WWIII will be triggered by a Michael Moore movie.
-- by JD