free html hit counter Peak Oil Debunked: 288. SAVINAR: "I'M JUST SPECULATING"

Monday, April 17, 2006

288. SAVINAR: "I'M JUST SPECULATING"

After you've followed peak oil for a while, you begin to notice how much of their hysteria just blows over. Somebody on the boards posts a doomy prediction, and they all freak out on it for a while like a bunch of monkeys going nuts over a snake in the cage. Then the prediction doesn't pan out so they quietly forget about it and repeat the cycle.

A good example of this is hype about the impending reinstitution of the draft.

As silly as it seems now, Savinar and Ruppert were quite shrill in predicting an imminent military draft back in the old days. I thought I'd call Savinar on that one, so I posted this over at peakoil.com:
Phew boy, that Savinar... He really knows what's GOING DOWN...

Matt Savinar wrote:
Here's how I think the draft will go down:

1. Michael Moore's film helps stir up anti-Saudi sentiment among the general population.

2. House of Saud continues to destabilize.

3. Increased terrorist activity, relating to number two.

4. Need a president to call for a draft? Who better to ask than a Democrat ex-war hero? Just like you needed a Dem to get welfare reform through, you need a Dem to get the draft.

John Kerry has said he will fight the war on terror "better" than Bush!Source
So what happened there, wonderboy? Was there a booger on your crystal ball?
Savinar replied:
If you note, I tend to couch my language (including the above post) in terms like "I think." That implies some degree of speculation as to the details.
So when Savinar tells you "Civilization as we know it will end soon," you might want to remember that Savinar is a green 20-something who is just "speculating". In fact, his grasp of reality is so tenuous that he actually thinks WWIII will be triggered by a Michael Moore movie.
-- by JD

7 Comments:

At Monday, April 17, 2006 at 11:51:00 PM PDT, Blogger Rishabh said...

Simmons, Campbell, et al do not believe that society is going to collapse. It is only Hanson, Ruppert, and Savinar (who parrots these two).

 
At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 at 5:16:00 AM PDT, Blogger russ said...

In other news, Weekend and Bernie's 3 will likely trigger "Zombie Fever" throughout the nation.

 
At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 at 6:21:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jan-Willem Bats said...

I smell something lucrative...

I want to engage in a long term bet with Savinar.

He can bet on the world reverting back to the stone age by 2020.

I'll bet on a clean society powered by solar power and hydrogen by 2020.

We'll stake $1.000.

Do you think he would be willing to take up that bet with me, JD?

 
At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 at 11:31:00 AM PDT, Blogger Patrick David said...

Savinar and Kunstler have their hearts in the right place. However, I also hesitate to predict doom and gloom when some negative numbers appear or a hurricane strikes. The collapse of a civilization is a complex process.

Kunstler also uses the same metaphors over and over again like "suburban asteroid belt surrounding a burned out inner city" etc when describing a post peak world. This gets pretty stale. I cringed when Ruppert predicted the "end" by December.
I prefer "Gun toting Republicans hop box cars to find jobs working the Alberta tar sands" Haha! Just kidding.


That said, peak oil is REAL and PEAK oil is serious and, as far as Savinar et al are concerned, I'd hesitate to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

 
At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 at 2:05:00 PM PDT, Blogger Jan-Willem Bats said...

"I doubt either will happen."

I didn't see any arguments with that.

 
At Wednesday, April 19, 2006 at 7:24:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jan-Willem Bats said...

I always wanted a cool bone.

It'll make me look flashy when I tie it in my hair.

I'll sure be able to get me a lot of cavewomen.

 
At Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 5:26:00 PM PDT, Blogger Baba McKensey said...

Could it be possible that the doomers are the same people who praise magic mushrooms so much at the shroomery?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home